Saturday, April 07, 2007

dear scatterbrain,

I was sitting all morning reading kompas and my newly purchased psychology book with a plate of batagor, oreo, kapal api and teh botol. (see tirs, I’m eating properly) God bless the street of Kemang Raya: Batagor, pempek, Mie Ayam. Bakwan bakso, Rujak, Soto ayam, Ayam rica rica, well your pick! I am feeling full already just by listing all of those abang2 who pass through my showroom everyday.

What can I say, even moving to Jakarta does not remove the “teteh spirit” in me. A true bandung gurl will always love batagor, even if they are fattening and not hygienic. (Babe, what are we having for dinner tonight? I tink I’m too full already. Can we not eating anything delicious? )

Anyway this new book that I am reading, Oh so good. It is called the frame of mind by Howard Bardner. I bought the book at the first place because I thought the book might give a breakdown on how human mind operates. You know, the frameworks that cause us to think what we think. Does every single human being have different frameworks? What are the differences? I want to know the differences in the framework of a simple and a complicated person. Yes, I am a too complicated person, and if there is anyway in the world that could help me to simplify my thoughts I would really love to know that.

The first chapters of this book really disappoint me. I could not find anything that the title suggested, the framework. I’m like, “where is the framework?” The book only tells about the bright mind of Clinton and Gandhi. Yes, I love the Clintons, but if I want to know their biographies, I would not buy a psychology book. However, when I arrive at chapter 5, the book does start to become very entertaining and educative. After reading the book, suddenly I don’t want to be a simple person anymore. Because the book teaches me on how to really operate the framework of one’s mind. There are many steps and methods to really change our thinking framework, and these methods could also be used to change the minds of others, such as the reasoning method, the argumentative methods, the subconscious method and many more. A simple person would not bother to learn the thinking pattern and how to manipulate and control them. Only a bored complicated person would. Haha. So I guess, there is a reason why God has given me not a very simple way of thinking when it comes to life.

I’ve met quite a number of people who are just like me. Have so many thoughts, all at once, very complex matrix when making decision, when analyzing and judging everything that is presented before them. We know a lot but are not very fond when it comes to organizing our thoughts. That’s why we use the term scatterbrain to describe ourselves. It bothers me so much, being a scatterbrain. So I keep searching and learning stuff that would help me to putt all of the messes in my brain into a controlled system. And I am glad that this book does help a lot.

To the entire scatterbrain out there, I totally recommend this ‘Frame of mind” book by Howard. The author is a lecturer at Harvard so the guy knows what he is talking about. It helps you to identify the sections and fractions of the thoughts in your mind such as the fraction of your childhood memory, the fraction of your happy memory, the fraction of painful and hurtful experiences, and many more. Those fractions have to be organized when you get into thinking process because if you don’t do it intentionally, an undesirable fraction might unconsciously play a dominant role in your thinking pattern. The book is very scientific actually, it tells you to sort out all of the learnt experiences, creating blueprint for future thinking pattern and all. Damn it’s very long and descriptive. Kalo enggak niat mendingan gak usah dibaca. Bikin cape sampe sakit kepala. Banyak banget theorynya, edan. Makanya I said it is not enough to be a complicated person alone, you have to be both complicated and bored enough that you have nothing better to do but reading about brain and it’s functionality. Haha.

Terus, terus, I am so sedih that I had just watched the season finale of Prison Break last night. I’ve watched two seasons (20 episodes per season) back to back in 3 days. That’s like a full on 40 hours of indulgence. I am so falling in love with Michael Scofield, a bigger kind of love than what I used to have for Josh Duhamel in Vegas and Lex luthor in Smallville. Yahh.. ko udah gak ada terusannya lagi sih? Hey Brad Retner, when are you going to start filming the third season? Pas nonton padahal guah udah kesel setngah mati kok gak abis2, I cannot be bother to watch any scene that do not have Michael Scofield in it. Lucky that I have a narrator who’s talking on the phone with me while I was watching the movie (yeah, you know who you are) So if there is any part that I don’t like watching, I just ask my narrator what is going on, then I can fast forward to the Scofield’s scenes. But, skearang filmnya udah abis, gua jadi BT dan moody. No more dates with Scofield? Hey babe, should I start watching Lost now?

No comments: