Thursday, August 31, 2006

viva arrogance..!!


Never seen any woman who is as confident and as arrogant as this diva: Maria Callas. She is known to be the best opera singer of the post World War 2 as she has combined an impeccable bel canto technique with great dramatic gifts. I have heard about the big name, but never came across to read her bio until today. I was watching the biography of Aristotle onassis, whom happened to be the second husband of my Damn-she-is-too-good too-be true-muse Jackie O. Aristotle was said to find his true love in Maria Callas. Then, I was curios to check what sort of woman she was, afterall, she’s jackie’s rival.

Her biography was full of the names of opera and songs and terms that I don’t understand, I think to myself, what the hew is so special about this woman person, but when I reached the end of the reading, I was shocked in awe to find out her very own famous quote. Is this lady super confident or what?

· "Don't talk to me about rules, dear. Wherever I stay I make the goddamn rules."

· "I would not kill my enemies, but I will make them get down on their knees. I will, I can, I must."

· "You are born an artist or you are not. And you stay an artist, dear, even if your voice is less of a fireworks. The artist is always there."

· "Some say I have a beautiful voice, some say I have not. It is a matter of opinion. All I can say, those who don't like it shouldn't come to hear me."

· "If I have stepped on some people at times because I am at the top, it couldn't be helped. What should I do if someone gets hurt... retire?"

On Renata Tebaldi: "When she can sing a Walkure and Puritani back to back, then you can compare us. Until then it is like trying to compare Coca Cola to champagne."

Some people hate arrogant people. I am not some people. I love arrogant people who can prove they are what they say they are. I rather be in the presence of a confident person rather than a person who doesn’t know what he or she stands for. Moreover, of course she is allowed to be overly confident and arrogant, she was the best of the best in her era. For me personally, arrogance can bring such magnetic charm and charisma up to a point. It hypnotizes one’s surrounding not to despise but to praise the particular person. well, that's how the saying goes: if you got it, flaut it. Viva arrogance..!!

No comments: