Tuesday, February 27, 2007

psychology dissertation



At last, found a theory that I’d say could beat Florence Liteuraneur 4 temperaments’ theory! The Alpha Male Syndrome, written by Kate Ludeman and Eddie Erlandson , is an excellent book that unveil the phenomenon of turf wars at work and in life.


Yes, I’m guilty of reading too many personality theories and over analyzing them until I don’t know which theory is the absolute truth. Sometimes it is good not to be carried away by your curiosity that wants to know more and more, because too much information would only create clusters. Having selective memories do really help your brain not to overwork. Therefore, after years of conductive study on human behavior, I decided to stick with the most practical theory when it comes personality observation, the 4 temperaments theory: the choleric, melancholy, sanguine and phlegmatic theory. The zodiac sign, astrology, blood type, genetic analogy, type A-B-C personalities theories are well, let’s be honest, interesting to know but not very practical and accurate. I’ve known too many people who are born on the exact date of birth but very different in terms of characters. Yes we know that genetic codes do play a significant role in determining one’s primary character, but those impacts are nothing in comparison to the impact made by circumstances over the years. So I’ll say that if one would trust zodiac sign and astrology explanations on human behavior observation, well, they are just invalid.


However, this theory concluded by Ludeman and Erlandson is very truthful and applicable. The alpha male syndrome actually is sort of explaining the strength and weaknesses of a type A personality person, specifically in the work place. The first chapter of the book is very general and boring. Yes we all know that a type A personality person is a high achiever, one that will do whatever it takes to excel to the top, is stubborn, explosive, impatient and bla bla bla. I’m like okay I’ve known a type A person front and back, side to side, half up and half down, this book is such a waste of money. I’ve put it down in my office desk for 3 days, but this Wednesday morning is so damn boring that I have nothing better to do, so I picked up the book and started to read, and Damn the book is worth much more that the pennies that I’ve paid for.


I’ve never read any book that could tell me the explanations behind a double personality, how to embrace them, how to confront the double personality and how to stop the antagonist side from appearing, how to decode a type A personality person who wears mask when dealing with you and brings out their vulnerable side. I’m like, “This is great stuff!”


See, I’ve discovered that all Type A personalities that I’ve known in real life, do have more than one personality. I know that for a fact. Anyone who is smart enough and strong enough in character wise and successful enough in their lives could put on different personalities for different occasions. And they could play those different characters flawlessly. Some people are aware of the fact of their multiple personalities; the others just do it unconsciously. The multiple personalities just take turn to show up naturally when they are needed.



These multiple personalities are developed over the years, not genetic but because of circumstance, and formed as one proceed in the stages of life. The alpha male syndrome states 3 personas that a type A person do possesses, namely the heroes, the villain and the victim. When the person is performing at his best, he becomes the heroes, when his territory is vandalized he turns into the villain, and when he felt mistreated (mostly because of his own fault) he puts on the victim mask. The characters of every persona is totally different, take a note that we are talking about one same person here.


IT is true that a type B and type C person would not excel as high as a type A person, since history and headline news prove that most leaders, most winners and most high achievers are a type A person, but the irony is also true that type B person does not stress out as much as a Type A person, does not break down, worry, feel anxious, or to the horror of all type A person, would suffer the risk of failing or defeated or injured as badly as a Type A.


A type A person might have the capability of soaring high to reach the corporate top, but with huge asset comes huge liabilities as well. Their liability comes in the emotional department. It’s emotional breakdown for women and blow-up for men. I’ve been blessed to have too many type A people in my life, my dad, my brother, my best friends, and my ex-boyfriends, who have not only inspired, but motivated, encouraged and have become a role model that brings out the very best in me. However, I cannot help but wonder how could such a shinning star, when they are at their worst, could turn into a totally different person. They could turn into their total opposite. A confident person could become so insecure and anxious. A wise and careful person could become so impulsive and making a totally stupid decision. A smart and successful person could harm and destruct oneself in a way that even a normal person would not dare to do.


Ludeman and Erlandson suggest a cure to the Alpha Male Syndrome that I would say to be very helpful. Identify the villain in you and talk to him. Okay, this stuff has nothing to do with horror movies or ilmu jiwa. This is psychology 301: dissertation. This method is very accommodating to differentiate and separate the three characters in you, yes I’m addressing this to all the confused type A person who must have for once at least wondered “who is the real me?”, “How could I do or say such thing? That is so not me.” Because if one person keeps changing masks and different personas, one will start to lose his or her true identity and would not be able to recognize oneself anymore. In other words, the multiple personalities would take control over him or her. Therefore, after you identify the antagonist and weak personalities, it will be easier to control them, after all you cannot kill the antagonist and the fragile sides of you.


The authors suggest that we ask question such as, “Since when does my antagonist influences me? In what situation does it usually appear? What impact has it caused? How could I self destruct in a very stressful situation?” all that kinda stuff. Well, that’s what I did for 2 hours in the office this morning. At it has been an enlightening experience in a self-seeking way haha. Alrightee, hopefully you find a pencarahan too.

No comments: